In 1998, a mechanism whereby state employees could be reimbursed for a portion of the direct costs incurred in the adoption process was created.
The Kentucky State Personnel Cabinet administers the Adoption Benefit Program, which provides financial assistance to state employees in the Executive Branch.
Under 101 KAR 2:120: http://lrc.ky.gov/KAR/101/002/120.htm the Adoption Benefit Program provides up to $5,000.00 per family for direct costs related to the adoption of a special needs child, and up to $3,000.00 for any other child adoption. The money is provided by existing funds from the agency where the adoptive parent is employed, not to exceed $150,000.00 total in one year.
The Adoption Reimbursement Application shall be submitted to the Personnel Cabinet along with the following:
- Finalization of the adoption;
- Certification by the Secretary of the Cabinet for Health and Family Services that the adopted child is a special needs child, if reimbursement for special needs adoption is sought, and;
- A copy of an affidavit of expenses related to the adoption files and approved by the court at the time of finalization of the adoption.
- If both of the adoptive parents are Executive Branch state employees, the applications for financial assistance shall be submitted jointly.
Kentucky State Government employees who wish to adopt a child have access to equivalent benefits that are offered to birth parents. Adoptive parents are eligible for FMLA: 101 KAR 2:102, http://lrc.ky.gov/KAR/101/002/102.htm
As of August 2001, a state employee who wishes to be reimbursed for adoption expenses must also submit a completed Adoption Reimbursement Application and a Adoption Reimbursement Notification Letter to his/her appointing authority.
The Family Medical Leave Act entitles you to:
- Twelve (12) weeks of unpaid job protected leave.
- Having the state's share of your health and life insurance paid.
To obtain the Adoption Benefit Program Application, contact your Human Resource Administrator. Or contact Nila Meeks, Office for Employee Relations/Division of Employee Benefits-State Office Building, 3rd Floor, 501 High Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, (502) 564-9818.