Human Resource Development Services
Professional growth and development opportunities are available for employees and managers through the programs and services of the Office of Governmental Services Center (GSC) located at Kentucky State University in Frankfort. GSC is a state agency whose mission is to provide quality services in training, consultation, and organization development that help the individuals and agencies of state government continuously improve performance and meet the challenges of today and the future. GSC is committed to the professional delivery of innovative, quality-driven, customer-focused services through vision, leadership and teamwork.
||Training and Consulting Services
GSC offers a curriculum of more than thirty workshops provided in classroom and online platforms. The management development curriculum includes topics such as fundamental and advanced leadership skills, managing under the merit system, managing employee performance, and the best practices in the hiring and selection process. The employee development curriculum includes topics such as interpersonal skills, problem solving, and other courses for development of the employee. GSC classes are open to ALL employees. The only registration restrictions that apply are class pre-requisites. For any class with a pre-requisite class note, you MUST take or be enrolled in the pre-requisite before you can be enrolled in the class. Any class with a suggested order for a class indicates to get the most out of your workshop, you should take the suggested class first. GSC also provides a variety of consulting services to state Cabinets and agencies. GSC staff is available to provide customized services and training to meet specific organization needs.
Employee Educational Assistance is a benefit to both the employee and to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The program provides financial assistance to employees to continue their formal education, which results in an improved workforce and helps the employee achieve his or her individual career goals. Educational assistance generally is provided for formal education programs that are taken on the personal time of the employee. All cabinets and agencies are encouraged to participate in this program.
||Agency Training Liaisons
To facilitate communication with employees about the services provided by GSC, each agency provides a training liaison as a communication link with GSC and to assist employees by providing information and enrolling them in classes. Employees must schedule training through their agency liaison. Agencies have different request and approval procedures. Please check with your agency liaison for the process in your agency.
The GSC training schedule is prepared quarterly and class schedules are prepared about six months in advance. Agency liaisons also always have access to the most up-to-date schedule information. Schedules, course descriptions, and other helpful information can be found at GSC web site.
For more information, contact the Office of Governmental Services Center at 502-564-8170.
||Educational Achievement Award
On the 16th of a month, an appointing authority may grant a five (5) percent increase to an employee's base salary based on educational achievement, as follows:
Postsecondary education or training:
· The employee has completed 260 hours of job related instruction (or the equivalent as determined by the Secretary of Personnel);
· The employee began the course work after becoming a state employee and completed the course work after establishing an increment date;
- The employee has completed the course work within five (5) years of the date on which it was begun;
- The course work has not previously been applied toward an educational achievement award;
- The agency has not paid for the course work or costs associated with it, in whole or in part; and
- The employee was not on educational or extended sick leave when the courses were taken.
Kentucky Certified Manager Program:
- The employee has successfully completed the Kentucky Certified Public Manager Program offered by the Governmental Services Center at Kentucky State University; and
- The employee has not previously received an educational achievement award for completing the Kentucky Certified Manager Program.
High school diploma, high school equivalency certificate, or passing score on the GED test:
- Outside of work hours;
- While in state service;
- On or after January 1, 1984;
- The employee has not previously attained a high school diploma, equivalency certificate, or passing score on the GED test; and
- The employee has not completed college coursework on the undergraduate or graduate level prior to obtaining the high school diploma, equivalency certificate or a passing score on the GED test.
An agency may elect not to participate in the educational achievement program if sufficient funds are not available.
An employee shall not receive more than one (1) educational achievement award in a fiscal year.
An employee shall not receive an educational achievement award and an adjustment for continuing excellence (ACE) based on the same training.
By submitting a personnel action to grant an educational achievement award, the appointing authority shall certify that all of the qualifying conditions established by this section for the appropriate type of educational achievement award have been met.