The Kentucky Safety Program and the Personnel Cabinet are pleased to sponsor blood drives throughout the year for the Kentucky Blood Center.
Read more in the Employee Handbook.
2020 Blood Donation Opportunities
January 17, March 13, May 8, July 17, September 11, and November 20
Know Before You Go
- Employees can receive four hours of leave time with pay for donating and recuperating from donating blood.
- The donation must occur during an employee's scheduled work day, and does not include the lunch period.
- Leave time should be taken at the time of donation unless circumstances, as specified by the supervisor, require the donor to return to work. In this case, the unused portion of leave time will be credited as compensatory time.
- Agencies should notify their employees of individual blood donation policies.
- Donations can be made at any licensed blood center certified by the Food and Drug Administration.
- Prior supervisory approval is needed as well as verification after the blood donation.
- Employees deferred from donating shall not be charged for the time used in attempting to donate, but will not receive the four hours leave time as those who donate.
- For questions regarding the blood donation policy, contact the Office of Employee Relations at 502.564.9653
For questions about donating blood, contact
The Kentucky Blood Center, at 800.775.2522.
Appointments to donate during the Blood Center events may be scheduled through the Blood Center’s website at