Sick and Annual Leave Sharing
Annual Leave Sharing
In order to receive donated annual leave you must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Have suffered from a catastrophic loss to your personal property, due to either a natural disaster or fire, that either has caused or will likely cause you to go on leave for at least ten consecutive working days;
- Have exhausted your accumulated annual leave and compensatory leave balances; and
- Have complied with administrative regulations governing the use of annual leave.
To request donated annual leave time, submit the
Annual Leave Sharing Application along with information documenting the catastrophic loss to your human resources office. To donate annual leave, submit the
Annual Leave Sharing Donation Form to your human resources office. You cannot donate an amount that will cause your annual leave balance to go below 75 hours.
The total amount of donated annual leave that may be received or used by an eligible person is limited to 200 work hours per each qualifying event.
Sick Leave Sharing
In order to receive donated sick leave you must meet ALL four of the following criteria:
- You or a member of your immediate family suffers from a "medically certified" illness, injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition which has caused, or is likely to cause, the employee to go on leave for at least ten consecutive working days;
- Your need for the absence is certified by a licensed practicing physician or advanced practice registered nurse;
- You have exhausted all of your available paid leave;
- You have complied with administrative regulations governing the use of sick leave.
To request donated sick leave time, submit the
Sick Leave Sharing Application along with the appropriate medical certification to your human resources office. To donate sick leave, submit the Sick Leave Donation Formto your human resources office. You cannot donate an amount that will cause your sick leave balance to go below 75 hours.
You are eligible for sick leave sharing even if you are drawing workers' compensation, however you will not receive full pay and workers’ compensation. The donated sick leave would be used to make up the difference between the workers compensation payment and your normal pay. Sick leave, from whatever origin, can be restored if you sign over the workers’ compensation income benefit check, per normal procedures.
Each employee is responsible for keeping track of leave balances and for all paperwork associated with this program. Donated annual and sick leave cannot be used retroactively except to cover the period between the date the request was submitted to your supervisor or agency representative and the date of approval.
For more information, please refer to the Leave Sharing Programs section of the Employee Handbook.
Sick and Annual Leave Sharing Program