Certificate of Supervisory Essentials
The Certificate of Supervisory Essentials (CSE), provides Executive Branch employees with a credible supervisory certificate program, designed to help current and developing supervisors gain the competencies they need to succeed within the extensive regulatory framework of the Commonwealth.
The Personnel Cabinet, through the Office of Diversity, Equality, and Training (ODET), strives to provide employees with the best and most up-to-date learning and development opportunities available. As part of this ongoing review process, ODET is taking a more in depth look at the Certificate of Supervisory Essentials (CSE) program and is not currently accepting applications. When the review process is complete, further communication will be delivered.
How to apply
- Check with your agency training coordinator to see if your agency has a special internal procedure you’ll need to follow. For example, most applicants will name their supervisor as their designated “approver,” but some agencies request that another person, such as the agency training coordinator, be listed instead.
- Complete the online application and submit to your approver. Online applications will be the only ones accepted this year.
- Be sure that you enter a valid email address for the designated approver; otherwise they won’t receive your application.
- Once your application is submitted to your approver, you’ll receive an email from “SPAlerts.”
- Save this email, because it serves as verification that you applied.
- This is the only notification that you’ll receive about your application, when acceptance and rejection emails are sent by the CSE program coordinators.
- Check with your approver to make sure he or she received your CSE application within 24 hours of applying. If they didn’t, contact
- If your application is approved, it will be routed to the CSE program coordinators.
- If you’re accepted in the program, you will receive an additional information email from ODET.
How to earn
Each agency may have additional approval steps for their staff so please contact your training coordinator prior to completing the electronic application.
CSE Orientation/Career Development (must be taken in the first month of program enrollment)
Overview of the Merit System
Hiring and Selection Process: Best Practices
Managing Employee Performance
Employee Discipline and Documentation
Fundamentals of Safety and Health
Workplace Violence Prevention for Supervisors
Diversity in the Workplace
Executive Branch Ethics
Valuing Employee Input
Frequently Asked Questions
CSE Program Credit